Emerging Professionals Program
The Emerging Professionals Initiative of the IES shall be an organization of members - regardless of membership classification - and shall provide unique opportunities for mentorship within the IES. Each member shall retain his/her own membership category of student, associate or member while participating in the group.
An Emerging Professional (EP) is a recent graduate entering the workforce for the first time OR a professional making a career move/change. A person shall be considered an emerging professional for five (5) years after graduation or entry into the lighting industry. Students will be considered members of this group.
The benefits of the Emerging Professionals Initiative are numerous and include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Encourages younger members and those new to the Industry to get actively involved in the IES.
- Creates special learning opportunities.
- Creates programs/activities geared toward EP members’ interests.
- Develops EP professional skills and abilities.
- Expands the young professionals’ recognition in the community.
- Creates new leadership and integrates new ideas into the Society.
- Creates opportunities for Emerging Professionals to share their concerns and needs with each other and to facilitate the fulfillment of those requirements.
- Provides a much needed voice to the Society about future needs.
- Provides opportunities to meet mentors.
- Provides both Local and Society service and career opportunities for Emerging Professionals.
Activities may be designed to foster supportive relationships among students, emerging professionals and Society mentors. This Initiative shall be developed to promote the integration of emerging professionals into the leadership of the Society
The program may include, but not be limited to, the following:
Mentoring program; mentoring should encompass the sharing of a wide range of experience and expertise. Mentoring shall include a database of qualified volunteer mentors available for consultation to all students and emerging professionals. Tools shall be developed for the region and section for training membership to become mentors and to offer mentorship to the EP.
Emerging Professionals section of the website may be developed and should be geared towards EP's and students. The section should include mentorship database, internship/job announcements, and links to other organizations with emerging professional programs.
Emerging Professionals column each month in LD+A. The column would either be by someone in this category, or devoted to topics that would interest EP's and students.
Have activities devoted to EP's at each annual conference (the exact activities would be determined by the Conference Chair).